Specialty Coffee Tiramisu
An absolute all-time favourite coffee dessert of ours is of course, tiramisu! It's even better when made with specialty coffee and perfect as a post-meal dessert, or paired with some afternoon coffee!
- 300g savoiardi lady fingers
- 500g mascarpone
- 4 medium eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 300ml freshly brewed espresso
- A slug of amaretto (optional)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Prepare a ceramic or glass pan roughly 30 x 20cm (do not use metal as the taste will transfer to the tiramisu).
- Brew espresso using freshly ground specialty coffee, ideally in a moka pot. If you do not have one, brew your coffee as you normally would and simply double the amount of coffee. Add amaretto to the brewed coffee if using and set aside in a flat dish to cool.
- Separate eggs, setting egg yolks in a heat proof bowl and egg whites in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a whisk, whisk egg yolks with the sugar until it has turned pale and smooth.
- Boil a pot of water and place the egg yolk mixture over a bain-marie (a hot water bath) making sure not to get any water into it. Heat until runny and warm.
- Remove from the bain-marie and add the mascarpone cheese to the egg yolk mixture while it's warm, this will make it easier to work out the lumps. Mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatula, fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture until well incorporated.
- To assemble the tiramisu, dip savoiardi lady fingers for a few seconds in the coffee mixture, one by one. Lay onto the pan to form a first layer.
- Spread a layer of the mascarpone mixture on top of the savoiardi lady fingers. Alternate between the two layers, finishing the top off with the mascarpone mix.
- Cover the pan and place in the fridge overnight.
- Before serving, use a fine mesh sieve to sieve cocoa powder over the top of the tiramisu. Serve and enjoy!
Why not try our punchy Peruvian single origin coffee with notes of zingy citrus and chocolate for this recipe? Bonus: all our packaging is plastic free, home compostable and we plant trees in the Amazon rainforest!
(Photo: Bake with Shivesh)