Baked Coffee Chocolate Mousse Recipe
You guys have loved our recipe series. We hear you! Therefore, we have partnered with private chef, Moni Nwinia, to create a one-of-a-kind recipe for an amazing baked mousse hails for our Alpaca Coffee supporters.
✔️ You'll need:
For the mousse base
- 150g salted butter
- 150g dark chocolate @ approx 70%
- 150g caster sugar
- 5 eggs
For the coffee syrup
- 100g granulated sugar
- 100ml water
- 6g Alpaca Coffee Pachamama Blend (Espresso Ground)
For the finish
- Flaked sea salt (optional)
- Crushed hazlenuts (optional)
- Separate the egg yolks and whites into separate bowls
- To make the coffee syrup, combine the ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Once dissolved allow to boil for 2 mins.
- Turn heat to a simmer, stir in coffee and cook for 1 min.
- Sieve the mixture through a J-Cloth or fine mesh sieve and set aside.
- Pre-heat your oven to 190C (175C fan).
- Prep a loose bottom cake pan by greasing with butter and coating with 50g of sugar. Pick up the pan and roll the excess sugar around the surface to evenly coat, tapping out the excess.
- Melt the chocolate and butter on the stove over a bain-marie (the water should not be at a rapid boil).
- Whisk 50g of sugar and the egg yolks till pale and aerated.
- Whisk the egg whites to medium stiff peak.
- Add 50g of sugar to the egg whites, in small additions. Whisking until glossy.
- Mix in the melted chocolate and butter into the yolk mixture.
- Fold in the egg whites in 2 additions, careful to retain air in the mixture.
- Pour 2/3rds of the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 20-25 mins.
- Once cool, and a dip has formed, glaze with the coffee syrup.
- Pour the reserved mousse mixture on top and set in the fridge for 30 mins.
- To finish, sprinkle over flaked sea salt and crushed hazelnuts. Enjoy!
The Pachamama Blend offers notes of chocolate truffle and toasted macadamia nut. You can also try this recipe with our single-origin Brazil São Luiz coffee, with notes of chocolate swiss roll, toffee, and sweet clementine. Discover our selection of ethically sourced specialty coffees in sustainable, plastic-free, and compostable packaging.