International Coffee Day: Is Coffee Healthy?
Having been coffee enthusiasts for many years, we at Alpaca Coffee have been confronted with the age-old question: is coffee healthy?
Thanks to recent evidence, the debate is finally gaining clarity with indications that coffee can indeed be beneficial to your health, to the point that the World Health Organization has even taken coffee off the possible carcinogens list.
Here are some evidence based facts about the possible health benefits of coffee:
- Moderate coffee consumption has been linked to a longer lifespan. According to Robert H. Shmerling, MD from Harvard Medical School, a November 2015 study in Circulation found that coffee consumption was associated with an 8% to 15% reduction in the risk of death (with larger reductions among those with higher coffee consumption).
- Coffee may lower your risk of type 2 diabetes. A large review of 18 studies in a total of 457,922 people, shows that each daily cup of coffee was associated with a 7% reduced risk of type 2 diabetes.
- It can lower your risk of Parkinson's disease. Parkinson's disease is the second most common neurodegenerative condition, and studies have shown that coffee drinkers, particularly those that consume caffeine over decaf coffee, have a risk reduction of around 32 - 60%.
- Drinking coffee can make you more focused. Did you know your first cup of coffee can increase your ability to focus and problem-solve? Researchers from the Department of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychobiology at the University of Barcelona found that caffeinated beverages, improve "cognitive performance in terms of sustained attention and working memory."
- Coffee beans brewed from grounds are packed with nutrients and antioxidants. A single cup of coffee contains around 11% of your daily intake of vitamin B2 (riboflavins), 6% of vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), 3% of potassium and manganese, and 2% of vitamin B3 (magnesium and niacin).
So what's the takeaway?
Coffee is one of the world's most popular beverages, and evidence has shown that it has a number of interesting health benefits. It is important to remember though that only you know how much caffeine you can consume, or whether you can consume it at all. Like many other things in life, everything in moderation. So go ahead, enjoy that cup of coffee!
While you are enjoying your coffee ...
Ethically sourced, check out Alpaca Coffee's delicious, sustainable, and locally roasted specialty coffee offerings - all in plastic-free and biodegradable packaging. Delivered to your door with free UK delivery for all bundles and orders over £20.