3 Zero Waste Coffee Tips – Alpaca Coffee

3 Zero Waste Coffee Tips

Globally, over 2.25 billion cups of coffee are consumed every day. Us humans sure do love our coffee! But with that level of consumption, it's no surprise that the amount of waste generated from the coffee industry is also a staggering statistic.

 

"Global coffee production creates in excess of 23 million tons of waste per year." – Gunter Pauli

 

So with that in mind, here are a few tips on how we can help reduce the level of waste that surrounds our caffeine habit:

  1. Use reusable coffee mugs – every year we use more than 600 billion coffee cups which are usually non-recyclable or compostable. Why not make a simple switch to reusable mugs so you have a more sustainable option when visiting your favourite café. Better yet, buy two so you can keep one in the office too in case you forget yours at home. Companies like Huskee have created reusable coffee cups out of coffee husk!

  2. Reuse your coffee grounds – most people throw their coffee grounds out without realising all the great things you can do with them! Try making a coffee body scrub, which will help treat cellulite. Or put your grounds in your home compost, this will help add nitrogen to your soil. You'll be giving your skin or your garden a treat, or both!

  3. Opt for less or better packaging – with our level of coffee consumption and need for convenience, no wonder the amount of plastic waste we produce has drastically risen over the years. Did you know that only 24% of coffee pods are recycled? Which means the other 76% end up in landfills or the ocean, one way or another. Try and reduce your plastic waste by choosing better, there are so many more options out there! Buying coffee in larger bags, purchasing reusable coffee pods or buying coffee in plastic free packaging (hint hint: that's what we do!) will all help reduce waste.

 

So there you have it, some actionable and easy to implement tips to start you on your zero waste coffee journey! Enjoy ☕️

Browse our range of plastic free coffees here!

1 comment

  • Use of nonrecyclable plastic cup damages our land ….we are destroying our planet ourselves …..

    Rakesh kumar Ray

Leave a comment